I don’t know about you, but all I’ve been seeing in the crochet world right now is Granny Squares! You either love them or hate them and I, myself, am kinda growing to like them! I’ve seen a lot of Sunflower Granny Squares going around and decided to try my own hand at creating some type of flower square and I came up with these cute, Starburst Granny Squares!
This is them before they have been blocked, of course.
You could even make them with tones of yellow and cream to make Sunflower Squares!
I chose to use Brava Worsted in the colors Brindle, Paprika, Avocado and Almond. Since it’s getting closer to Fall time, I thought these colors would be perfect together.
I’ve made many different tutorials for different types of granny square like Circle Granny Squares, Flower Granny Squares, Solid Granny Squares, Heart Granny Squares, Basic Granny Squares and even the Granny Stripe Stitch.
Are you a visual learner? Then watch my video tutorial for Starburst Granny Squares!
Be sure to Follow me on Social Media to never miss a FREE pattern!
PIN this pattern to save for later!
Check out Some of my Other Patterns!
- Circle Granny Squares
- Granny Stripe Stitch
- Heart Granny Squares
- Flower Granny Squares & Solid Granny Squares
- Save to your Ravelry Queue Here
- Pin to Pinterest to save for later Here
- Subscribe to my Youtube channel Here
Things you will need:
- Brava Worsted Yarn in Brindle, Paprika, Almond & Avocado
- H / 5.00mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
- Each Square is approx. 5” x 5”
Abbreviation / Stitch Key:
- ch = chain
- st = stitch (es)
- sk = skip
- mc = magic circle / ring
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- ps = Puff Stitch
- lc = large cluster
- sp = space
- yo = yarn over
- t = turn
Special Stitches –
- Puff Stitch – *yarn over and insert hook into stitch, pull up a loop (as if you were going to do a double crochet), you now have 3 loops on your hook. Yarn over and insert hook into the same stitch and pull up another loop (5 loops on hook) repeat from * 2 more times until you have 9 loops on your hook, yarn over and pull through all 9 loops. Secure with a chain stitch.
- Large Cluster Stitch – *yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook* repeat * to * 4 more times, yarn over, pull through 5 loops on hook, yarn over, pull through last 2 loops on hook.
Round 1: 12 dc in mc, sl st into 1st st
Round 2: ch 2, ps in each st around, sl st into 1st st
Round 3: ch 3, lc in same stitch, ch 2, * lc in between next 2 ps, ch 2* repeat around, sl st into 1st st
Round 4: sl st into ch 2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), ( 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same ch 2 sp, * 3 dc in next 2 ch 2 sp, ( 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch 2 sp* repeat * to * 2 more times, 3 dc in next 2 ch 2 sp, sl st into 1st st
Cut yarn and weave in ends. You can block the squares if you wish.
If you now have made a bunch of squares and would like to join them together to maybe make a blanket or something, then check out my YouTube video for joining Granny Squares HERE
I’d love to see your creations that you make from all of my patterns, be sure to tag me @okiegirlblingnthings on Instagram so I can see. Whether you make these Circle Granny Squares or something else entirely, tag me!